The Early Years Pupil Premium
Since April 2015, nurseries, schools, childminders and other childcare providers have been able to claim extra funding through the Early Years Pupil Premium to support children’s development, learning and care.
We can use the extra funding in any way we choose to improve the quality of the early year’s education that we provide for an eligible child. This could include for example additional training for our staff on early language, investing in partnership working with our colleagues in the area to further our expertise or supporting our staff in working on specialised areas such as speech and language.
It is well documented that high quality early education can influence how well a child does at both primary and secondary school so we want to make the most of this additional funding. You may be aware if you have older children that a pupil premium has been available for school age children and it has proved to have given a real boost to the children receiving the funding. We want to do the same for our early years children entitled to this funding.
Eligibility criteria for EYPP:
If you are in receipt of any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
We may also be able to get the extra funding if a child:
- Has been looked after by the local authority for at least one day
- Has been adopted from care
- Has left care through special guardianship
- Is subject to a child arrangement order
A report providing details about the funding allocation, how the funding has been spent and the effect on the attainment of pupils who attract the funding, is attached below.